Skip to main content


Loading
Luigi ASCIONE

Luigi ASCIONE

Retired Professor of Structural Mechanics at the University of Salerno (Italy) - Convenor of WG 4 del CEN-TC 250, University of Salerno
Italy

Biography :

Luigi Ascione was born in Portici (Naples, Italy) on July 9, 1950. He graduated with honors in Civil Engineering at the University of Naples on July 27, 1972. Since December 1973 he has worked as professional enginieerin the field of Civil Engineering. From 1986 to 2016 he has been professor of Structural Mechanics at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Salerno. Since 2016 he has been a contract professor at the same University. He is author of numerous scientific publications on the topics of experimental mechanics, mechanics of structures subject to unilateral constraints, stability of structures, mechanics of composite materials. He is the author of several textbooks on topics of Structural Mechanics. In recent years he has coordinated a series of technical documents of the Italian National Research Council (CNR) on the structural use of innovative materials and in particular of composite materials. He is an expert member of commissions of the Italian Ministry of Public Works on the qualification of composite materials and on the design rules for their use. Within CEN-TC 250 (the Technical Committee of the European Commission in charge of drafting the Eurocodes) is convenor of the WG4 Working Group, in charge of preparing a structural Eurocode on the constructions made of FRP (Fiber Reinforced Polymer).

About University of Salerno :

The University of Salerno (“UNISA”) is ideally linked to the oldest academic institution in the Old Continent: the Schola Medica Salernitana. Founded in the eighth century AD, the School reached its peak between the 10th and 13th century. In addition to medicine, its lectures included philosophy, theology and law. The School, which earned Salerno the title of Hippocratica Civitas (City of Hippocrates) after the famous Greek physician and treatise writer, was closed by royal decree in 1811 under Joachim Murat’s Napoleonic government. In 1944, by decree of king Victor Emmanuel III, the Istituto Universitario di Magistero “Giovanni Cuomo” was founded. This became state-owned in 1968, changing its name into Facoltà di Magistero dell’Università degli Studi di Salerno. Within a few years, the Faculty was joined by many others, which contributed to the formation of a major university. The Faculty of Arts was established in 1969. This was followed by the Faculty of Economics (1970); the Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences, and the Faculty of Law (1972); the Full Degree in Engineering (1983); the Faculty of Pharmacy (1991); the Faculty of Political Science (1992); the Faculty of Foreign Languages and Literature (1996); finally, the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery (2006). As of 1987, the University is located in the town of Fisciano, a few kilometers from Salerno, at the junction of motorway intersections that make it central and easy to reach. The university is a very large compound in continuous expansion, covering around 100,000 square metres. Organized in the form of a campus (comprising the campuses of Fisciano and Baronissi), the university is equipped with residence halls for students and teachers, and boasts modern facilities and efficient services for orientation, teaching, studying and leisure activities. It currently counts about 40,000 students from Campania, Basilicata, Calabria and Apulia.

 

Sessions