Planets in 2021
From Cars to Airplanes and Spaceships to Bicycles and Snowboards to Buildings, Bridges and Wind Panels to Prosthetics and High-end Furniture, composites are used in an incredibly diverse range of applications due to their unique properties and possibilities.
At JEC World 2021 will be exhibited 3 showcase areas:
INNOVATION PLANET Mobility
Sponsored by Hexion, this planet will be a reflection of the dynamic changes in the Future of Mobility and the enormous opportunities it bears for tomorrow’s mobility ecosystem, with fleets of autonomous and/or electric vehicles that will redefine the design of cars with a new catalog of materials to make everything from batteries to simplified powertrains and customizable interiors as well as integrate sensors that connect the car with its environment.
Among the parts presented:
- Nawa Technologies: NAWA RACER – Fully electric urban motorbike
- Vartega: Lightweight recycled carbon fiber vertical body panel
- Cevotec: Hydrogen tank dome reinforcement
- Mader Composites: Fire Retardant Carbon Fiber Front of Train (EN 45545)
- DLR: Urban Modular Vehicle
…and many more.
Conference on the Mobility Planet 2020
- Bcomp: EAV last mile delivery vehicle with natural fibre bodywork
- Volkswagen & Porsche: Lightweight FRP center tunnel (LehoMit-Hybrid)
- Institut für Leichtbau und Kunststofftechnik – TU Dresden: FOREL-Mock-up
- Resource-efficient hybrid lightweight structures for mobility (120 partners involved)
- Teijin Aramid: Electric Racing Car
INNOVATION PLANET Aero & Space
Regarding the Aerospace sector, rising fuel costs, environmental regulations and an increase in airline traffic have helped drive the push towards composite materials in the aerospace industry coupled with the fact that, in passenger aircraft every kilogram of weight reduction counts. In order to decrease the cost of transport as well as its impact on the environment, the use of lightweight, high-strength materials has become essential for high-end applications in the aviation industry. Compared to aviation, space travel has a much broader range of applications. When building a probe, you face electromagnetic or particle radiation, contact with micro-meteorites and a lot of different conditions in the orbit that affect the outer materials. Thus there are extremely high demands on the material. The Aero & Space planet will present various parts for Satellites as well as Airplanes reflecting also the trend towards an increasing use of thermoplastics in Aero applications.
Among the parts presented
- Airborne: Solar array sandwich panels for satellites (among partner/client: Airbus Defense & Space, Toray)
- ATG Europe: Lattice satellite central cylinder (among partner/client: ESA, Eire Composites Teo)
- Lineo SAS: Flax-based thermal protection for space launcher (among partner/client: Ariane Group)
- Bcomp: Lightweight and demisable satellite structure panel with ampliTex™ and powerRibs™ bio-composite facesheets
- Airbus Technocentre: Center Wing Box
- Institute de Soudure: Stiffened panel made of TP welded stiffeners on skin (among partner/client: Arkema, Hexcel, Stelia, Latecoere)
- GKN Fokker: Clean Sky Thermoplastic fuselage demonstrator
- Stelia Aerospace: Full thermoplastic OOA Cockpit structure (among partner/client: DEDIENNE MULTIPLASTURGY GROUP)
…and many more.
Innovation Planet Building & Industry
The Building & Industry Planet will have a strong focus on the construction of buildings as well as infrastructure including bridges, pipes & tanks and why composites have a high potential in this sector. For instance, composites are used to reduce installation, repair and lifecycle costs as well as to reduce weight and improve corrosion and durability which makes it a perfect choice for bridges – whether for new construction or in rehabilitation projects. Furthermore various case studies from our publications “The Future of Buildings” and the latest publication “The Future of Infrastructure” will be present on the Planet. Furthermore Lifestyle and Design Elements for the Interior will be showcased as well as Maritime parts to show the vast possibilities of composites.
Among the parts presented:
- Saertex: W-Tank®
- Chomarat: ALPHALINER® – Section of a GRP pipe liners
- BioMat: Biocomposite sandwich panel – Plant Africa
- Mecelec: Colonne Morris
- Saertex: Demo composite structure of a cruise ship with SAERTEX LEO® System and FAUSST
- Carbo-Link: CL Restrap
- Institute for Textile and Fiber Technologies (ITFT): Concrete-filled FRP Node for Load Bearing Structures
and many more…